Gala Fishing Weekend
- Ocean Flathead
- Gummy Shark
- Australian Salmon
The Gala fishing competition is open to club members and visitors. The catches of popular fish species are donated to the Club and then auctioned under licence provided by the NSW Department of Primary Industries.
• Prize for 1st and 2nd heaviest bags of Flathead each day – bag limit 10
• Prize for 1st and 2nd heaviest bags of Mixed Fish each day
• Prize for the heaviest bag of Flathead by a Lady each day – bag limit 10
• Prize for the heaviest bag of Mixed Fish by a Lady each day
• $100 Voucher for the heaviest bag of Flathead by a Junior each day – bag limit 10
• Prize for the heaviest bag of Mixed Fish by a Junior each day
• Prize for the heaviest bag of Estuary Fish Senior & Junior each day
• Prize for the longest Bream caught & released each day – Senior & Junior (Photographed on DPI Brag Mat)
• Prize for the longest Dusky Flathead caught & released each day – Senior & Junior (Photographed on DPI Brag Mat)
• A Secret Weight prize for a Flathead bag each day – bag limit 10
• A Secret Weight prize for a Mixed Fish bag each day
BBQ Starts at 11:00
You can pay $5.00 a bag to have your fresh fish filleted.
Watch out for our Seafood Raffle. Sellers will be coming around with the fresh seafood prizes on offer.
Registration is required by Friday 5th January at a Briefing to be held in our Spencer Park Club house starting at
Entries must be paid for prior to start of Fishing on Saturday.
Fishing can commence at daylight Saturday 6nd January and continue though until the finish at 12.30pm Sunday 7th January
The only weigh in for Gala Weekend is at the Clubrooms in Spencer Park Merimbula.
Weigh In Times
Saturday 6th January – from 12 noon until 1pm & from 5pm until 6pm.
Sunday 7th January – from 11.30am to 12.30pm
All fish must be weighed in by 12.30pm Sunday 7th January.
The ‘Clubs Boundaries’ and are from Goalen Head to the North and the Southern most point of Disaster Bay to the South.
- All competitors must have a NSW Fishing Licence or be exempt as per described by Fisheries.
- Competitors must produce their entry receipt to be eligible for prizes.
- Presentation of prizes will be at 2.30pm on Sunday 7th of January at Spencer Park.
- Note – All fish must be kept on ice immediately after capture.
- All fish are to be gilled & gutted prior to weigh in.
- Competitors must present their own fish in their own container at weigh in.
- All fish must be caught on rod and reel or handline. Jagged fish are not eligible.
- All boats & crew must be insured to compete in Gala Day Events, this is the responsibility of the skippers.
- In the event of a tie in any event, the winner will be decided by a draw.
- A competitor can only win two (2) prizes each day.
- Envelopes containing secret weights will be drawn and opened in public at the prize giving
- All disputes must be in writing and lodged immediately to the Club’s Dispute Committee.
- The Club’s Dispute Committee’s decision is final.
- Merimbula Coastal Patrol VJN661 will be on standby for the weekend on 27-880 & UHF channel 22.
- All fish as listed must comply with NSW Fisheries legal sizes & regulations.
- In the event of a Gale warning from the BOM, fishing ceases from the time issued and fishing will recommence when the Gale warning is cancelled. The Tournament Committee may cancel or postpone the tournament in severe weather.
Prizes and or Accommodation Vouchers Cannot be redeemed for cash.
In 2018, MBGLAC was able to donate $3,000 to the Merimbula Rural Fire Brigade
2019 Gala Sponsors
Andrew Marshman & Associates P/L
Big 4 Tathra Beach Holiday Park
Boardwalk Gelateria and Espresso
Carbon Copy Printing
David Griffiths Lawyers
DBC Building Solutions
Direct Appliance Services
Direct Chemist Tura Beach
Dee Gees Fine Art Photography
Domino’s Pizza Tura Beach
Duci’s Italian Restuarant
Georgies Fine Jewlers
Goodall’s Quality Meats
Goodyear Autocare Merimbula
Headland Fishing Charters
Jason Harley Optometrist
John McDermott Auto
Merimbula Aquarium & Wharf Restaurant
Merimbula Gardens Motel
The Merimbula Ice Creamery
Merimbula Lakeview Hotel
Merimbula Mowers & Marine
Merimbula News Weekly
Merimbula Outboard Service
Mitre 10 Pambula
Nolans Auto Parts
Merimbula Sports Memorabilia
Pambula Automotive Repairs
Pier One Bar and Grill
Rathlin II Fishing Charters
Reel Affair Fishing Charters
Ritzy Wine & Tapas Bar
Richie McNeil Design
Robert Smith Complete Furnishers
Sapphire Office Supplies
Sapphire Waters Motor Inn
Seeto, Dodd & Dwyer Pharmacy
Splash N Dash Car & Boat Wash
Surfside Holiday Apartments
Swannies Clothing Co
Sapphire Marine & Automotive
Shane Mayberry Builders
Tackle World Merimbula
Top Pub Commercial Hotel
The Picture Show Man (Merimbula)
Tura Beach Country Club
Tween Waters Holiday Resort
Wheelers Oysters & Restaurant
Woodbyne Park Eco Cabins
Woolworths Tura Beach
Coast Resort Merimbula
Merimbula RSL Club
Merimbula Club Sapphire
Pambula Merimbula Golf Club
The Monster Fish Auction will be held on 6th of January 2019 at approx 2.30pm.
Net proceeds of the auction in 2018, will go to the Merimbula Marine Rescue